Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Is there really something to say about an itchy palm?

My grandfather always said whenever I itched my palm that money was coming my way.  I would always think to myself, GOOD cause I need some money to buy some lotion for my itchy palm!  My children are Polynesian, my oldest is 26, so needless to say I have been around the Polynesian community for a good many years.  My mother-in-law, (whom I love dearly and wish she were still with me) always had some Tongan way of making things better.  When I was in nursing school in my early 20's I found out that modern medicine is nice but relying on something that has been passed down from generation to generation so much more reliable.  My number four child was born premature and had underdeveloped lungs.  My mother in law would rub Tongan oil on his back every night those first couple of weeks and his oxygen saturation's went up!  He did not have to be on the horrible prednisone for as long as anticipated.  When my kids would have eye infections, she would tell me to squirt breast milk in their eyes, IT WORKED!  (ps...breast milk is good on small scrapes and bruises as well)  Just saying.  

But what are some other things we have heard? 
  • I have heard that the reason we say bless you is because we sneeze because the devil is tickling our nose so we will inhale when we sneeze. 
  • We are to make a wish on the first Robin of spring, if it flies away before you end your wish will come true. 
  • The number 13 is just unlucky.  PERIOD!
  • No bruising your hair and looking in the mirror at the same time, it calls out the Lady in the Mirror (ooh scared myself right there). 
All fun and games and I am sure I will remember a bucket load more as soon as I finish writing this.  All fun and joking aside, here are some signs and signals that your body tells you when it is time to go the doctor:  (information below can be found in an Article written by Dr. Mark Williams, dermatology written April 13, 2013 www.healthyyou.gov)

Tongue:  Red and beefy looking , sometimes it is a subtle change but it is noticeable.  It is a sign that your vitamin B12 is low.  Vitamin B12 is essential for carrying oxygen throughout your body, if we do not have oxygen throughout our body it affects our brain.

Yellow:  Hands, elbows, feet. 
The appearance of soft, yellowish bumps (called xanthomas) on your body—particularly on your elbows, knees, hands, and feet—can indicate dangerously high cholesterol levels, which increase your risk for cardiovascular problems including heart disease and stroke. These growths, which are painless and can range from very small to wider than three inches, are actually fat deposits that build up under the skin, often when an excess amount of lipids. 
Also yellow eyes could mean there is something wrong with your liver (if you are not a chronic smoker). Chronic smokers have yellow, teeth, eyes, and nails. 

Black: Neck, armpits and groin
Dark, velvety patches found in your armpits and on your neck and groin are likely acanthosis nigricans.  This slow-developing skin condition, which is more common in overweight and obese adults, can be a sign of type 2 diabetes.  It sends skin cells into overdrive, increasing skin thickness and darkening pigment. 

Brown: skin and nails.
We all know that we need to check for brown or black skin mole but do not forget to look under your nails as well.  2 to 3 percent of melanomas are found under the fingernails. 

Listen to yourselves my fine peeps! Your body knows, you just have to listen! And remember....what ever you say about someones else's children....will happen to yours!  (just another saying I heard growing up). 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment